std.containers - WAT

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Mar 29 14:24:16 PDT 2012

On Thursday, March 29, 2012 17:04:13 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:53:42 -0400, Adam D. Ruppe
>
> <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The ddoc macros can do a LOT better than it looks
> > in phobos.
>
> My concern is not with the macros. The raw data availability and cross
> linking is severely lacking. Just the fact that we need javascript to
> generate the links at the top should tell you something.

Yeah, compared with other documentation generators, such as doxygen or
javadoc, ddoc is pretty weak. The macros work fairly well overall, but not
enough gets generated from them. At minimum, links for all of the types and
functions in a module in a proper hierarchical format is a must, and ddoc
doesn't do anything of the sort.

ddoc is the base of something solid, and its simplicity is a definite plus in
many ways, but it could be much more powerful even without adding all of the
complication that doc generators such as doxygen have.

- Jonathan M Davis