D for a Qt developer

Davita dato1100 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 13:23:46 PDT 2012

Hi guys. I'm sorry if this is a wrong section for my question,
I'm totally new in D and D community. I'm a Qt/C++ and .NET
developer. I'm keeping an eye on D's development and progress for
a while. First time when I saw D, I thought wow, this is a
perfect language, without bringing those complexities that comes
with C++ and with great native code performance, but
unfortunately my joy suddenly disapeared, because I couldn't find
a reliable and nice IDE for D that I'm used to work with, such as
Visual Studio and QtCreator, I couldn't find many usable third
party libraries in the net and I couldn't find many
informations/articles/tutorials about D, due to the lack of
community. So I thought that maybe it's too early to jumpstart
development in D, I'll wait until community grows, more and more
developers will get involved and it will be safe to start a
commercial project. I think I've waited enough :-) and decided to
dare and ask about it :)

So I wanted to know how big is D community, what third party libs
is avaliable for D (commercial and open source), what's the best
IDE to work with D and what's D team is doing to address those
issues mentioned above. I guess that, despite the fact that D is
a wonderful language, without a strong community, choice of
libraries and high quality development tools it won't shine with
it's full potential. My primary focuses are:
1) Database libs/ORMs.

2) mature UI library (vector based ,declarative or at least to
support styling like Qt stylesheet).

3) Crypto libs for hashing and with asymmetric algorithm
implementations.

4) XML libraries for generating and parsing xml docs. Although
XSD validation support and XSL transforms.

5) networking libs with several main protocol implementations
such as Http, FTP and SMTP.

6) and of course, RAD styled IDE.

Those are the minimum of my requirements in order to start
development for a platform. So guys, what do you think, will D be
useful for me? :-)

P.S. what happened to Qt bindings? I saw that it was abandoned.
Maybe working with trolltech/Nokia team to integrate D in
QtCreator and creating and maintening Qt's D bindings would be
the most awesome decision, but how achievable is it? :)

Thank you very much.
Please forgive me for my broken English