Does D have too many features?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu May 3 15:30:52 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:32:52PM +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
[[...]
>  If anything, I would consider D3 an ideal, something to work
> towards. And no it wouldn't be started or really worked on for at
> 10-15 years after D's mature and at Andrei's goal of having at least
> a million users. And as stated before, if there [b]IS[/b] going to
> be a D3 at any point it should have no problem calling D2 code.

Do we know (roughly) how many D users are out there right now?

>  Course thinking of D3 now is kinda like thinking of flying cars and
> how you want a flying car and you won't buy a car today until it can
> fly...  Back (in the 50-60's was it?) they thought we would be
> having a flying car for every family and had these really badly done
> animations of what they expected to see. I don't see any flying cars
> outside of Hollywood. Best if we stick in the present and deal with
> our problems now.

There aren't any flying cars in Hollywood either. They're either just
artist's concepts (*cough*CGI models*cough*), held up by strings, or
just superimposed on an animated background.

It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages. -- Henry Ford