Does D have too many features?

foobar foo at bar.com
Sun May 6 12:18:38 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 22:57:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/3/2012 8:13 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
>> Well, they are also used in druntime, in core.stdc.math
>> BTW I *hate* that module, I don't know why it exists. Even
>> worse, it seems to be
>> growing -- people are adding more things to it.
>
> It's there simply because all the Standard C headers should be
> represented. It should not get anything that is not in Standard
> C. Ditto for all the other stuff in core.stdc.
>
> It's there to make converting C code to D code easier.

This argument comes up every once in a while even though AFAIK it
is *not* a goal of D and never has been!
D does not and *should not* strive to be source compatible with
C. We already have C++ for that and it is a horrible idea.
D can link with C which allows to use pre-existing C code. we
should *not* encourage converting C code to D code at all. Either
just link the C code or use D idiomatic code.

IMO C headers should be moved to Deimos, and should be clearly
documented that their intended purpose is to _link_ D code with
the C runtime.