nginx reverse proxy for vibe tutorial

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 7 21:08:49 PDT 2012

"James Miller" <james at aatch.net> wrote in message
news:tsqxxnxrqfcfyvxmpzhg at forum.dlang.org...
> On Sunday, 6 May 2012 at 22:50:56 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> On Sunday, 6 May 2012 at 22:42:21 UTC, James Miller wrote:
>>> I think FUUUUUUUUUU is the most appropriate sentiment here.
>>
>> Wait till you try using conditional blocks in Lighty's configuration
>> files. [1]
>>
>> David
>>

>> [1] lighttpd supports conditional blocks for a number of predefined
>> variables, including http host, . - but only evaluates the first (or was
>> it: last?) one of a kind, and silently discards the other ones.
>> Especially funny if you use a Debian-style configuration where
>> configuration is split over a number of files
>> (conf-available/conf-enabled directories).
>
> I think I remember that from when I was running Lighty, it seemed awesome
> at first, then quickly became a nightmare to manage.
>
> Yeah, I went Apache -> Lighttpd -> nginx for webservers, nginx is
> definitely the best so far. Not as many features as Apache, but I find it
> suitable, and (F)CGI is plenty fast enough using a local socket.

I guess I must have never gotten as fancy with Apache as other people have,
but when I went Apache -> Nginx, my thought was "Wait a minute...I thought
people said Nginx was less feature-rich than Apache."

Maybe I just don't wear the sysadmin hat enough, but I've never come across
anything I needed to do in Apache that I couldn't do in Nginx (assuming a
version of Nginx compiled with all the official bells and whistles). It even
supports directory listings, which [pleasantly] surprised me. And
URL-rewriting in Nginx doesn't make my brain hurt, which is a nice change :)