What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu May 10 12:43:44 PDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 11:38 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:49:08AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> I can't say that these exist in other standard libraries either, but I
>> want:
>>
>> 1. A high-performance sockets API.
>> 2. A robust logging tool (ie. Boost.Log).
>
> I thought std.log is in the queue? Or is it not powerful enough for what
> you need?

Assuming I were actually using this at work, it's not powerful enough for what I'd need.  At the very least, it needs configurable output filenames and rules-based log rolling.  Fancier stuff like multiple formatters and sinks would be significant as well.  Say I want the logger to dump to syslog on Unix or the Windows event logger, for example, plus console, file, and a user-defined location like a remote service with a socket API.  Synchronous or asynchronous logging for high-latency writes would be important, unless that was left up to the user-defined sink implementation.  Finally, I'd need some way to log to different sinks based on some rule.  Say I want data for each user in a separate file, for example.  Boost.Log is almost too configurable in this regard, and comes off as overcomplicated, but it does all this and more.