D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat May 12 02:43:03 PDT 2012

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:37:12 Manu wrote:
> On 12 May 2012 12:26, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote:
> > On 05/12/2012 10:13 AM, Manu wrote:
> >> On 11 May 2012 21:28, Mehrdad <wfunction at hotmail.com
> >>
> >> <mailto:wfunction at hotmail.com>**> wrote:
> >>    Yes, I agree, but consider that D users should NOT have to work with
> >>    pointers to do something so basic
> >>
> >> I'd like to think this were true, but the fact that 'ref' barely works
> >> makes this almost immediately false when trying to write any non-trivial
> >> program.
> >
> > It depends on the coding style.
>
> If the distinction is whether one likes to have data structures in their
> code or not, I reckon there's a reasonably large user base in the former? :)
> Once you use 'struct' you can't avoid pointers, given that ref just doesn't
> work in many (perhaps most) situations.

Since structs are generally value types, it's extremely common to just pass
them by value - so no refs or pointers are involved. I _rarely_ need pointers
for structs, and I don't need ref for them all that often either. And aside
from the need to duplicate functions which take const ref so that they work
with rvalues, I don't know what about ref you could think doesn't work.

- Jonathan M Davis