D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:10:17 PDT 2012

On 12 May 2012 12:43, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:37:12 Manu wrote:

> with

> non-trivial
> > >
> > > It depends on the coding style.
> >
> > If the distinction is whether one likes to have data structures in their
> > code or not, I reckon there's a reasonably large user base in the
> former? :)
> > Once you use 'struct' you can't avoid pointers, given that ref just
> doesn't
> > work in many (perhaps most) situations.
>
> Since structs are generally value types, it's extremely common to just pass
> them by value - so no refs or pointers are involved.

... no. structs are for storing structured data. They may be rather large,
they may aggregate smaller structs. In my entire career as a programmer, I
can count the number of times I've wanted to pass a struct by value on
perhaps one hand.

I _rarely_ need pointers
> for structs, and I don't need ref for them all that often either.

If you need pointers at all, and you want to stick with D's modern
pointers-shouldn't-appear-in-day-to-day-code idiom, then you need ref.

> And aside
> from the need to duplicate functions which take const ref so that they work
> with rvalues, I don't know what about ref you could think doesn't work.

That's not a solution, it's not even a work around, it's a totally
different operation. I may not want to, or can't, pass my data by value.