D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat May 12 03:19:19 PDT 2012

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 13:10:17 Manu wrote:
> That's not a solution, it's not even a work around, it's a totally
> different operation. I may not want to, or can't, pass my data by value.

Whether passing by value makes sense depends on the struct. If it has lots of
members, then no, passing by value doesn't work very well (though still not as
badly as C++98 thanks to the fact that D can move structs far more often due
to its different copy semantics). But almost all of the structs that I deal
with only have a handful of member variables at most, so the cost of passing
by value isn't high. In most cases, if I have a lot, I probably wanted a
reference type anyway, in which case, I'm almost certainly going to use a
class.

But there's no question that the situation with const ref needs to be improved
(it was discussed quite a bit on the beta list during the last beta).
Fortunately, that's likely to happen sometime soon.

- Jonathan M Davis