Is dsource .org completely deserted?

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Wed May 16 06:09:49 PDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:43:42 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm well aware that it's deliberate, but it's still anti-competetive,
>> asinine and anachronistic. And it's not as if the whole hosting thing isn't
>> worth anything. That is, after all, what they *do*.
>
> Wait, can't you just git clone the data into whatever "github-like" service you wish?  I mean, yeah, you cannot do pull requests to Phobos unless you have your code in github, but that could just be a simple intermediate step.

This is not entirely correct. You can do pull requests. You just can't do them through the github interface, which aims to make them easier and smoother. A pull request is nothing more than a request to execute a common git command with a URL pointing to a git repository (which can be hosted anywhere). The github interface just wraps this command and directs it to the repository stored on the server rather than one on your computer (as well as adding things like tracker integration, etc).

From the git documentation:

Often, "please pull" messages on the mailing list just provide two pieces of information: a repo URL and a branch name; this is designed to be easily cut&pasted at the end of a git fetch command line:

    Linus, please pull from

	git://git..../proj.git master

    to get the following updates...

becomes:

    $ git pull git://git..../proj.git master

(See http://git-scm.com/docs/git-tag)

Projects that don't operate around sites like github rely on messages to a mailing list asking the integrator to pull from some branch of some repository. Although I'm sure the Linux kernel works like this, I haven't seen it, but I have seen the same process used effectively by Erlang - and they even use github for their repositories.

If Phobos is *requiring* pull requests to be done through the github interface, well, I think that's pretty silly and a good way to discourage some contributions, but it's not my project and perhaps they like the interface too much to work any other way.

Geoff