[OT] Windows users: Are you happy with git?

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Fri May 18 02:07:00 PDT 2012

In my experience, TortoiseGIT is rather awkward to use. Anyone looking
for a GUI for git should have a look at SmartGIT. It is commercial but
zero cost for non-commercial use, available for Win/Mac/Linux and I
don't know any other GUI that comes even close in quality.

I guess there will always be some expert operations that require using
the git CLI. This is just as usable on Windows as it is on Unix, but
Windows users tend to avoid CLI in general. Anyhow, a user who migrates
from SVN to GIT would not even miss that kind of operations.

In general I don't see any aspect where GIT is less adapted to Windows
than any other version control.