GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 21 12:56:00 PDT 2012

"Nick Sabalausky" <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote in message
news:jpe4ru$13e8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
> news:lvpmnrfdyinxvkzuswlb at forum.dlang.org...
>> GitHub have just released their Windows GUI for Git/GitHub:
>>
>> http://windows.github.com/
>>
>> Although I'm not sure if it really stands up to the promise of being »the
>> easiest way to use Git on Windows«, it might be interesting to some of
>> you who prefer to rather not be bothered with the inner workings of Git.
>>
>> The release announcement is at:
>> https://github.com/blog/1127-github-for-windows.
>>

> Finally!
>
> I still don't understand what posessd them to do a Mac version first.
> Nobody uses Mac.

Jesus, it's almost as bad as their web interface. I don't know how the hell
they managed that, I'd think you have to *try* to make a desktop app that
bad.

Upon initial startup: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in GitHub.exe".
Great.

Then it runs anyway? But there's *no* titlebar whatsoever. And everything
else about it is the most poorly-implemented custom-UI I've ever come
across. Gratuitus amounts of wasted space. Controls that behave...wrong and
don't even look *at all* like what they're supposed to be (*that* is
supposed to be a scroll-bar?). Constant...shit...popping up every time you
touch the mouse. And as far as looks, I'd say it's the ugliest program I've
used since Chrome, but honesty - it's really is uglier than even that. They
actually managed to make things like Steam and modern *Adobe* UIs seem
decent! I didn't think that was even *possible* without VB3.

And on top of that, it's *still* bloatware-city.

Seriously, I could *swear* they made this stupid thing in flash. That
actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

OTOH, I completely understand now why it started out on Mac. No doubt it
would fit right in there.

Oh, and the final nail in the coffin, big enough to make everything else
completely irrelevent? You can't even use it to do *anything* with
GitHub-hosted repos other than list *your* repos, view the readme, and make
a local clone. And you can't even choose *where* to put the local clone!
Seriously? What a completely useless turd of a *cough*"program".

Bah. Fuck GitHub. Head up their asses just as far as Google.