GitHub for Windows

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue May 22 04:15:39 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-22 12:54, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> I wasn't running it on Win8. It was on XP.

Yeah but it seems they're sneaking in UI elements from the mobile
versions of the OS'es. They did the same for the Mac version:

https://github.com/blog/878-announcing-github-for-mac

https://github.com/BigZaphod/Chameleon

"Chameleon is a port of Apple's UIKit ... to Mac OS X".

Take a look at this image:

https://github.com/blog/878-announcing-github-for-mac

That is not a native popup, it looks like something from the iPad. But
also Apple is sneaking in UI elements from iOS into the latest version
of Mac OS X.

> I guess it's kinda like Chrome: Hey Google, imitate the native UI all you
> want, but the fakeness is pretty damn obvious when Aero suddenly shows up on
> an XP machine.
>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-release-preview-rip-aero-20032012-143133
>>

> Oh, so it's that time of the week again already? Time for MS to change their
> minds once again on which is cool and uncool: straight vs curved?
>
> Egads, it's like they're spinning their wheels just for the sake of spinning
> them. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The computer industry has
> become the goddamn fasion industry.
>
> Win3: Rounded edges! Couldn't have those before!
>
> 95: Rounded is so old. Stright-edged (*cough* like Win1&2 *cough*) is
> classy!
>
> XP: Straight edges and flat colors are sooo old-fasioned! Roundess, curves
> and gradients are in! ("Yea, whatever...Luna: Off, Classic: On")
>
> Vista: Transperency is hip and modern! More curves! More shading!
>
> Win8: Transparency, curves, gradients and shading are sooo old-fasioned!
> Stright edges and flat colors are in!

Note that in the first preview of Windows 8 the GUI (not the Metro GUI)
looked like Windows 7 :) . They've already changed their mind a couple
of times just with Windows 8.

> FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!
>
> It's all change just for the sake of fucking change. Why most of the world
> seems to be so chronically blind to it is beyond me.
>
> And then there's MS's "between-OS" styles-of-the-week, like in the late 90's
> when MS decided all their non-OS releases for one year should use black menu
> bars instead of system-default.
>
> Make up your fucking mind, MS.

Hehe.

--