GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu May 24 02:58:08 PDT 2012

"Dmitry Olshansky" <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jpkqol$rmt$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> 3. erratic issues with sharing directories. Sharing was simple with XP -
>> one click to share, another to unshare. Win7 has a maze of dialog boxes
>> and alternate ways of doing it, some work, some don't, and no feedback
>> on whether it works or not.

I noticed sharing on Win7 being a pain, too. It was like going back to
Win98's sharing, but more painful because this time you can't get it to work
by just futzing with it.

> It's because the concept of "share this" is too damn simple. (and bogus).
> Any real network sharing requires users, ACL and so and so forth.
>
> To be frank I always preferred running FTP or SSH server on Windows. Or
> even Apache ;)
> (though remote desktop is cool)

I've moved over to preferring FTP, too. Windows built-in file sharing has
always been a bit flakey. WinXP is the best it ever got. I learned this at
least a couple times over:

- There's a Vista laptop I sometimes borrow usage of. When transferring
files with my XP machine, I used to use Win file sharing (always seemed to
be good enough on XP<-->XP setups). It worked fine for awhile, and then one
day without warning it just...stopped. I went through everything on both
computers trying to figure it out, Googled, everything, and came up with
nothing. So I switched to FTP. Problem solved. Eventually, I discovered
(don't recall how) it was some automatic update on the Vista machine that
fucked it all up. Great. Gotta love auto-updating software... :/

- When my sister finally got fed up with Apple (just like I had before and
my brother is starting to now), and replaced her MacBook with a Win7
Lenoovo, I managed to accidentally win the glorius task of transferring all
her data. SMB didn't fucking work...PERIOD. There was just no way. Took
forever to figure that out, too. So I had to resort to FTP...which was
*still* a world of hurt because her MacBook was a non-upgradable (don't
remember why) 10.3 and I went though hell trying to find an FTP client that
didn't require the 10.4 that she couldn't upgrade to (Aside from FTP
specifically, this inability to upgrade or run anything so soon after buying
it is part of why she got fed up with the Mac) And yes, I know it's Unix and
therefore has FTP already, but I didn't want to fuck with cmd line FTP, and
doing FTP through Finder just wasn't working (maybe it just didn't support
it? I don't remember).