GitHub for Windows

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 06:55:59 PDT 2012

On Fri, 25 May 2012 01:30:03 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
> news:fvvzmqelefzdwdsooazb at forum.dlang.org...
>>>
>>> It isn't, and you can't.
>>>
>>> I've checked all over, internet search, etc. If you're on Win7, you
>>> have
>>> the
>>> Win7 dock, period.
>>
>> What exactly is wrong with the Windows 7 »dock« set to minimal height,
>> Aero off, and the grouping options adjusted to your liking?
>>

> Off the top of my head:
>
> - Quicklaunch icons are all jumbled together with the running programs.
> Why
> MS felt that forcing *less* organization on *everyone* by cloning Apple's
> retarded dock (which itself was just a cheap imitation of the Win
> taskbar)
> was a good idea is beyond me.

You can re-enable the old quicklaunch bar.

I love the new style, and was glad when Ubuntu started doing it.

> - Titlebar text is not shown on the buttons for the running programs.
> (This
> *might* be changable though - I can't remember).

I think you can enable this.

> - Trying to have a taskbar with more than one row works like shit. The
> different rows are all completely misaligned (it's all a big total mess),

I don't know about this, I haven't tried it.

> - Useless, giant, distracting, popup thumbnails (which you can't even
> distringuish between at a glance anyway) *every* fucking time I move the
> mouse near (let alone try to use) the taskbar.

This is quite an exaggeration.  I frequently use these, and they only
activate if you hover over the buttons, not "near" them.  I can
distinguish usually, and if I can't, you can hover over the thumbnails,
and it shows you the actual window in question with all other windows made
transparent.

I find this feature is *vastly* superior to the old "group all buttons
together into one taskbar button, then pop a list of the titles" mechanism.

> Also, sort of related to the win dock, but not technically part of it - I
> was very impressed with the in-set "All Programs" list...until I actually
> tried it. I *just don't like it*. It slows me down every time. It feels
> like
> reading a book through a keyhole. And MS won't even *let* me have my old
> way
> back.

You mean you don't just start typing the program name you want and have it
appear?  I haven't browsed programs in a long time.

> It's all just, "You're *going* to like our objectively superior design,
> or
> you can just fuck off." Ie, they've adopted Apple's (and Mozilla's) #1
> core
> value. No, fuck *you*, Win7/Vista.

Can't please everybody, and it's really difficult to design and support a
product that is configurable enough to try and please everybody.

I'd guess that a high majority of users for windows 7 like the new
interface better than XP.

-Steve