GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri May 25 07:42:09 PDT 2012

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.wevablddeav7ka at steves-laptop...

>I find this feature is *vastly* superior to the old "group all buttons
>together into one taskbar button, then pop a list of the titles" mechanism.

*shrug* I find the thumbnail popups vastly inferior. Actually, I find it
useful literally 0% of the time, and both annoying and distracting 100% of
the time. Not exaggerating.

Just because some people like it doesn't mean it was a sensible move to
force it on *everyone*.

>You mean you don't just start typing the program name you want and have it
>appear?  I haven't browsed programs in a long time.

Of course not. Why bother with the typing when I can just skip straight to
the "click on it" part?

>Can't please everybody, and it's really difficult to design and support a
>product that is configurable enough to try and please everybody.

All they have to do is just not remove the old way, leave it in as an
option. It's not as hard as some make it out to be. Problem solved,
everyone's pleased.

And it's downright false to categorize this as a mere matter of "not
pleasing everybody". They're "not pleasing" nearly *half* of their userbase.

>I'd guess that a high majority of users for windows 7 like the new
>interface better than XP.

??? Of *course* most Win7 users like Win7 better, the ones who don't are XP
users. Likewise, I can confidently say that a high majority of users for XP
like the old interface better than Win7. So I don't see what that really
means.

But what I think *is* significant is that XP *continues* to be nearly half
the Windows market. If MS did such an _objectively_ good job on Win7, then
why did it create such a huge, lasting division among Windows users?