Is the D community lacking development tools?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri May 25 07:25:10 PDT 2012

On 25.05.2012 18:07, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 May 2012 at 16:21:23 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>>>

>>> My opinion - no.
>>>
>>> We already have:
>>> 1) Mono-D, a MonoDevelop plugin - my personal favourite.
>>> 2) Code::Blocks - I used it for years, still provides excellent D
>>> support.
>>> 3) Visual D - for VisualStudio users.
>>> 4) DDT - for Eclipse users
>>> 5) NetbeansD - for NetBeans users
>>> 6) Geany and Kate - for those who want to write a quick D proggy.
>>> 7) VIM and Emacs
>>>
>>> Sure, all of them can be better, provide more fancy features, etc...
>>>

>> Refactoring tools ? Static code analysis ? Formaters ?
>>
>> I'd say, just compare to what exists in Java or C# and you'll know
>> that yes, many things are missing.
>
> Well, the OT was about lacking of development tools. The author did not
> specify the level of proficiency. Sure many things are missing from
> current tools, but come on, the fact is that one can do a serious D
> project with Mono-D. Well, at least I think without a second thought
> that it is possible.

I tried Mono-D. No dice, it uses about 1.5Gb of RAM on my 2 file "project".
And of course runs out of memory on every single click. Guess I'll wait
till the end of GSOC. What it does is for now:
-looks nice
-shows errors in-line, I actually kind of liked it
-almost good auto-completion

But it lacks:
- fast editor ;)
- no crashes & mem leaks plz