A little Py Vs C++

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Thu Nov 1 12:49:40 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 1 November 2012 at 18:06:21 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:

> The same is true in D. Well-written D code often does look
> rather elegant, but the amount of understanding needed to write
> beautiful D code is staggering.

I'll second that!

I'm finally making good progress with D after a whole lot of
effort, and there were (and still are) periods where I felt like
giving up, although not so much anymore.

The number one missing item that I would love to get my hands on
is comprehensive documentaion. What we have now leaves out far
too much detail, and may be missing entire features, and what is
available is scattered all over the place.

Reading the TDPL book is a huge help for understanding D, it's
essential reading for sure, but it's only an overview rather than
a full text on the subject. The TDPL lacks many of the fine
details that one needs to know in order to write proper D code. I
find myself experimenting a lot in order to figure out what the
various obscure details are, but without comprehensive
documentation, I cannot be certain if the observed behaviours are
actually correct or fully complete under all situations.

--rt