D vs C++11

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Nov 2 15:02:07 PDT 2012

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 21:25:49 +0100
"Rob T" <rob at ucora.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 20:12:05 UTC, so wrote:
> > On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 18:34:13 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I would absolutely say that the gap is getting thinner. I
> >> would mostly say that with C++11 C++ has finally started to
> >> catch up with D and the rest of the world.
> >
> > Serious? It doesn't even have a "static if".
>
> .. and not even an array type, or string type, and the template
> system remains in a semi-useless state in terms of practicality.
>
> But it is true that C++11 has added features that attempt to
> catch up.
>
> I recall being very eager to try the new improvements out as soon
> as they were available, yet soon afterwards I find myself
> investing my time in D.
>
> C++ is permanently bogged down by too much legacy features that
> are difficult to remove or repair, and I'm convinced that C++
> cannot be fixed without a redesign from the ground up.
>
> D has effectively "fixed" C++ already, so I agree with the claims
> that D can be considered as a good C++ replacement.
>
> Also I expect that D will continue to evolve and improve, so it
> may be that C++ can never catch up.

///ditto

To be fair though, asking "C++ vs D" on a D newsgroup is clearly going
to be tilted more towards the D end ;) But yea, personally, I feel that
C++11 is merely playing "catch up", and doing so on a broken leg.

C++ does have the advantage of being almost universally
supported with mature toolchains on pretty much any platform. D's
toolchain is very mature on Linux, OSX and (aside from the
COFF/OMF stuff) Win32, but still needs work for other platforms and
also could use some work for dynamic libs.

So whenever D is a viable option, I always go for it because I find it
to be vastly superior, even to C++11 (which is merely "slightly less
crappy than old C++", IMO). And then when I *have* to use C++, I do so
while wishing I was doing it in D.

FWIW, I did this little writeup (ok, "rant" ;) ) on my opinion of C++
vs D:
https://semitwist.com/articles/article/view/top-d-features-i-miss-in-c