D vs C++11

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 15:44:48 PDT 2012

On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 22:02:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> So whenever D is a viable option, I always go for it because I
> find it to be vastly superior, even to C++11 (which is merely
> "slightly less crappy than old C++", IMO). And then when I
> *have* to use C++, I do so while wishing I was doing it in D.

  I remember trying to read and learn C++ years and years ago. Got
a headache just trying to read & understand it (2005ish). It felt
like it wasn't consistent with C, it was ugly, friend functions
never quite made sense, the default 'streams' library should have
been written differently (It was originally an example class
correct?)

  Let's see what else. Headers, document twice, virtual has to be
explicitly declared so inheritance is more limited. Constructors
had to be the same name as the class, just a bunch of things that
didn't quite seem like they fit right.

  Reading/learning how the STL works they based everything off
pointers (which makes some sense) but rather than make a new type
and work on that they tried to make that backwards compatible
with C, so to use iterators you simulate a pointer.

  I can understand it's limitations on systems back when memory
and drive space was scarce, but we're way past that now.

  "Polish a turd, it's still a turd!" -- Peanut