D vs C++11

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Nov 3 03:33:57 PDT 2012

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 08:19:15 +0100
"Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> What I have learned in all my years of enterprise development is
> that all those features have zero value for business.
>
> Languages get adopted because of business value, not due to the
> coolness of their feature set, how boring it may sell.
>
> If we want to sell D to companies using C++ for years, slowly
> migrating to JVM, .NET worlds, or just updating their codebases
> to C++11, then we need to sell D's business value not feature
> lists.

The problem with "business value" is that there's two types of it:
First there's "reality" business value which *naturally* includes, among
other things, how well it works for the people actually using it. But
then there's also "MBA/PHB" business value which *doesn't* factor that
in because...well I can't finish that sentence without delving into
rather graphic profanity, anatomical references, and
general offensiveness to an entire profession ;)