D vs C++11

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sat Nov 3 17:32:31 PDT 2012

On 11/03/2012 11:01 PM, Malte Skarupke wrote:
> I've learned C++ in the last two years and learned D in the last couple
> months, and I slightly prefer C++ over D. When I started using C++11, I
> took for granted that all the features just work.

I have run into bugs in both g++ and clang, and I do not actually use
C++ for anything beyond experimenting.

> Using D, I realize that that is actually unusual.

There are many bugs in the implementation, but stuff often works.

> In D you still encounter compiler bugs or
> inconsistent behavior way too often, and I have workarounds all over my
> code.

Do you not have 'workarounds' all over your C++ code? There are
conferences about how to work around C++'s limitations. It is fun, but
unproductive.