Binary compatibility on Linux

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:20:20 PST 2012

On Monday, 12 November 2012 at 07:22:04 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> As I understand it Debian is a more stable distribution and
> Ubuntu is a faster moving target. The question is how much
> faster. Would Ubuntu LTS be more ahead of compared to the
> latest stable Debian.

Debian testing is a rolling distribution, so it is always in an
unstable state. Debian stable is, as it says, stable. To answer
your question, just look at what debain version the particular
ubuntu LTS version is based on.

To be honest, unless you're going to package all your
dependancies along with the download, then you have to go down
one of two routes: source distribution with a nice simple build
procedure or making packages for the main distributions. I would
recommend doing both.

Look at it this way: the sort of people who aren't using a debian
or fedora based distro aren't going to be phased by building from
source (as a matter of fact they might prefer it).
If you provide packages for debian and fedora and a source
distribution as a fallback then you've covered the vast majority
of your bases, allowing less advanced users to use package
managers and letting the wild-west fringe distro people do
whatever they want.