@property needed or not needed?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 10:02:05 PST 2012

On Monday, 19 November 2012 at 15:01:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Would you please start a DIP with a paste of this idea?

here it is:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP21

I tried to implement this a while ago and hit some pain after
some early success. The pain was trying to get assignments to
work without breaking other cases like returning ref.

My plan was to make any reference to a @property change to a
CallExp or whatever. But if you do that and it is on the left
hand side of an assignment, you do the wrong thing.

foo = foo + 1;

should generally become:

foo(foo() + 1);

but if there isn't a setter, we should leave it as foo() = foo()
+ 1; and finding the setter is a bit of a pain. Then, of course,
we ideally want foo += 1 to work too..

Maybe someone who knows the compiler better than me will make it
look easy though.