half datatype?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 17:13:21 PST 2012

On 20 November 2012 02:51, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Monday, November 19, 2012 12:55:11 Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 11/19/2012 12:28 PM, Rob T wrote:
> > > In any case, the point is that I don't think the D community should
> > > overlook what the game devs are doing, they're pushing D to its limits
> > > and are making D more visible than perhaps anyone.
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > I might also point out that adoption of a language (or any new
> technology)
> > often happens because it solves a problem for an otherwise overlooked
> > niche, and their adoption of it drives it into the mainstream.
>
> I don't disagree at all. I just find it interesting how many things that
> the
> game devs keep coming up with that they consider critical that most of the
> rest of us haven't ever even considered and frequently know absolutely
> nothing
> about.

Dunno what to tell you.
Gamedev is a strange union of 3-4-5 very distinct fields of programming,
each with their own set of requirements, and often just the interaction
between them is an interesting problem in its self.
Engine programming is the most critical though, with virtually no room for
compromise. D needs to be competitive in that space if it hopes to dislodge
C/C++, and it's not far off.