WinAPI for druntime and OpenGL for deimos.

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sun Nov 25 00:13:23 PST 2012

On Saturday, 24 November 2012 at 23:47:26 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Well it's one of the changes in the existing implementation
> which I totally
> disagree with, for the reasons stated.

Could you be more specific? Is it that the Unicode version is not
set by default? Considering that Druntime does not support
Windows 9x, the default should probably be changed to use the
Unicode APIs in the Druntime bindings.

> WIN32 has a heap of these HSOMETHING types, and they're all
> implicitly
> convertible to HANDLE and should remain that way. Many
> functions receive
> HANDLE's which it expects may be of any type. The Wait* suite
> of functions
> for instance wait on basically anything.

Yes, all those should be aliases. Same with anything CloseHandle
accepts.

> I'd be interested to hear arguments why you think any changes
> of any sort
> should be made to a well established API that's decades old?

We have the opportunity to make nearly unilateral improvements to
the experience of programming in Win32 in D. It does not need to
involve "relearning" (I am no fool, of course I think breaking
valid C code would be bad), however you seem to be categorically
against it without even looking into it, based on principle. Such
an approach to software development, or anything, is not
constructive. We need to look and compare actual advantages and
disadvantages.