D Stable Proposal

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Thu Nov 29 22:31:12 PST 2012

On Friday, 30 November 2012 at 06:05:51 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
>> Take for example Gerrit + Jenkins: Every commit is first sent
>> to Gerrit.
>> Gerrit triggers Jenkins to run all unit tests over the new
>> commit. Jenkins
>> reports the result back to Gerrit. If all tests are green and
>> another
>> developer gives his "Looks good to me" (lgtm) then the commit
>> is applied to
>> the target branch.
>
> How would this fit into the Stable model?
>
> Assuming 3 branches, I doubt it would be prudent to run every
> test multiple times.
> Ideas?

I'm pretty much done for the day, so will look what you wrote up
in detail tomorrow.

One quick suggestion before I call it a day, is for there to be
an "experimental branch" for the great minds behind D to play
around with (eg UDA's etc). We probably don't want experimental
stuff going directly into a branch that is destined for stable.
Unstable should be for items that are relatively finalized in
terms of design and agreement that the concept is to be
eventually incorporated into stable, i.e., moving a new feature
into unstable starts the refinement process towards a stable
release of that feature.

We could say that individual forks are good for experimental
work, so there's no need for an official experimental branch,
however, that will leave out the unconnected people who may want
to tinker with the latest and greatest ideas that are being
worked on.

I don't know really, this is just something I'm tossing out for
consideration. Debian has an experimental branch, and I have a
lot of respect for what that organization has achieved, so it's
probably there for a good reason.

--rt