Explicit TCE

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Fri Oct 12 13:22:59 PDT 2012

On Friday, 12 October 2012 at 17:39:53 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
wrote:
> However, the primary problem with this approach is a really
> mundane one: The major compiler back ends (GCC and LLVM) don't
> have any means of guaranteeing TCE...

LLVM shouldn't be as big a problem – there is some support for
guaranteed TCO in order to make implementations of some of the
functional languages possible.

I know that you can force LLVM to tail-call everything it
possibly can (which in consequence horribly breaks the ABI), but
I am not sure right now how fine-grained you can control that
mechanism.

Also don't forget that some calling conventions don't lend
themselves particularly well for doing efficient tail calls.

David