More D & Rust

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 15 19:48:07 PDT 2012

It seems D comes up often in Rust threads :-)

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/11j38z/mozilla_and_the_rust_team_announce_version_04_of/

I still think D and Rust should join forces to design a single GC
usable for both languages :-) Their GC needs are not _that_
different.

A question in that thread:
> My question is, what are the advantages of Rust over D? How do
> you think they compare?

An answer by ssylvan:

>For me, the memory management of Rust (the three pointer types,
>per-task GC), as well as the additional safety (in particular, D
>still has nulls all over the place - IME the by far most common
>remaining "real world" crash seen in so called "memory safe"
>languages - it's unfortunate because we know that they can be
>statically eliminated). Also, not a fan of the class/struct
>distinction in D, I think it encourages heap allocations,
>whereas Rust drastically prefers big chunky objects that mostly
>stay on the stack or inside another object with only the
>extremely rare allocation, and even then most of those can be
>unique (no GC/RC).<

Bye,
bearophile