More D & Rust

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Oct 15 21:06:21 PDT 2012

Am Tue, 16 Oct 2012 04:48:07 +0200
schrieb "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>:

> It seems D comes up often in Rust threads :-)

And you are here to remedy that situation?
No offense, I started to keep an eye on Rust myself. I'm
pretty sure it will eventually have to cater to the people who
use it and tack some features on, like D2 that make it look
less carefully designed. New features lead to language WATs.

Also thanks for the strawman citation about not-null types. ;)
Since I don't write compilers I don't worry about their
complexity, and I think they are supposed to be a language
feature. Library solutions are clumsy to use and lack the
static flow analysis that is possible inside a compiler.

This three pointer types stuff also sounds effective to keep
the GC heap slim. I can't tell without personal experience
though, if all they implemented is an advantage in practice.
I agree with them, that it would be nice if D classes could
naturally be placed on the stack. Again I think it's a
language feature, just as 'ref' parameters are. Otherwise, as
long as I don't need polymorphism, I never missed anything
from structs, so I get along fine most of the time.

--
Marco