Why D is annoying =P

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:50:04 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 01:36:00 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 00:53:31 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 24 October 2012 at 21:55:53 UTC, Era Scarecrow
>>> So should I drop a project I'm working on and go to C++? That
>>> isn't something I look forward to doing...
>>
>> Well if it's been working for you then there's obviously no
>> reason to. :)
>>
>> I couldn't say the same thing, though.
>
>  You can always work around what does and doesn't work;
> Although preferably you shouldn't have to.

Well I mean, yeah, you can obviously implement your own data
structures, and eventually, your own version of Phobos, even.

The trouble is, then you're fighting the framework, and nothing
integrates with anything else. Some data structure expects a
toHash() instance method, another expects .hashOf, another
getHash(), another getHashCode(), another might say hashCode(),
and yet another might just expect a template specialization, like
in C++.

So the point is, yes, it's possible. It's not that I can't work
around it, but it defeats the whole purpose of switching to D.