To avoid some linking errors

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Oct 29 02:49:25 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-28 22:57, Walter Bright wrote:

> I am baffled why a programmer with even a modest skill level in any
> language would not know what a symbol in a programming language is.

Welcome to the real world :)

> I see the point of that, and at one point optlink did demangle names.
> But that didn't change anything. There was also a filter one could run
> the linker output through that would demangle the names, but nobody
> found that useful, either, and it fell by the wayside.
>
> You'll see the same complaints from the same people appearing for C code
> being linked, which does not have mangled names.

You still don't get any source location.

> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/OptlinkErrorMessages.html#symbol_undefined

That's only for optlink.

> I even wrote an entry in this book
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Things-Every-Programmer-Should-Know/dp/0596809484
>
> about it. *Every* programmer should know what a linker does.

I agree with you, but again, that's not the world we live in. On the
other hand, why does, say, an PHP (insert your favorite dynamic
programming language that doesn't use a linker) programmer need to know
what a linker is?

--
/Jacob Carlborg