To avoid some linking errors

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 29 10:38:51 PDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 2:49 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 >> You'll see the same complaints from the same people appearing for C code
 >> being linked, which does not have mangled names.
 >
 > You still don't get any source location.

It's usually pretty obvious, but when it isn't, I use:

     grep -r symbol_name *.d

or whatever search function your IDE has.

 >> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/OptlinkErrorMessages.html#symbol_undefined
 >
 > That's only for optlink.

True, but the suggestions for what to do next apply to any linker.

 >> *Every* programmer should know what a linker does.
 >
 > I agree with you, but again, that's not the world we live in. On the other hand,
 > why does, say, an PHP (insert your favorite dynamic programming language that
 > doesn't use a linker) programmer need to know what a linker is?

Because it's a fundamental tool for programmers, despite PHP not using it. It's
like knowing what a CPU register is.