The D wiki engine must be replaced

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Oct 31 14:14:12 PDT 2012

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 14:06:08 +0100
Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to edit something in the D wiki[1], had a problem and
> learned more about the used wiki engine ProWiki.
>
> [1] http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d
>
>  - The last ProWiki release was in 2006
>  - This was also the first open source release
>  - Prowiki was apparently developed only by Helmut Leitner
>  - The project is dead by all standards
>
> I consider it extremely important for the success of D to have a
> usable wiki. I don't consider the current wiki usable. I don't have a
> strong opinion about other wiki engines so I won't give a
> recommendation here.
>
> I personally would prefer a wiki system based on Git to allow offline
> editing, like Ikiwiki.
>
> I don't know the history of the wiki, but it might be adequate to
> thank Helmut Leitner for his work and efforts.
>
> Best regards, Thomas Koch

I don't really understand what's wrong with the current system (other
than the engine apparently being dead as you say...well, and that it
rejects user names that have only one capital letter as supposedly not
being camel-cased). But if there's a lot of people who feel this way
about it (and I don't know - are there?), then that could explain it's
tendency to not get updated, in which case maybe it should be changed to
something else.

What do you mean by "offline editing" though? I'm not a fan of web
interfaces in general either, but a wiki is a website, so I'm not sure
I understand what you mean. I guess I haven't used ones of these
offline editing wikis, unless you count committing/pushing a
'README.md' to github. Do you just mean something that has a published
HTTP API (like REST or something) so that arbitrary non-web interfaces
can be created?