Status on Precise GC

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 10:22:37 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 9 September 2012 at 16:51:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-09-08 23:35, Tyler Jameson Little wrote:
>> Awesome, that's good news. I'd love to test it out, but I've
>> never built the D runtime (or Phobos for that matter) from
>> source. Are there any instructions or do I just do something
>> like
>> make && sudo make install and it'll put itself in the right
>> places? FWIW, I'm running Linux with the standard DMD 2.060
>> compiler.
>
> Just run:
>
> make -f posix.mak
>
> Or, for Windows:
>
> make -f win32.mak

You also need to build Phobos, which automatically links the
druntime objects into a single library file, by going into the
Phobos directory and doing the same thing.

An annoying issue on Windows, though, is that DMD keeps running
out of memory when all the precise GC teimplates are
instantiated.  I've been meaning to rewrite the make file to
separately compile Phobos on Windows, but I've been preoccupied
with other things.