Status on Precise GC

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:16:43 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 9 September 2012 at 17:22:01 UTC, dsimcha wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 September 2012 at 16:51:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On 2012-09-08 23:35, Tyler Jameson Little wrote:
>>> Awesome, that's good news. I'd love to test it out, but I've
>>> never built the D runtime (or Phobos for that matter) from
>>> source. Are there any instructions or do I just do something
>>> like
>>> make && sudo make install and it'll put itself in the right
>>> places? FWIW, I'm running Linux with the standard DMD 2.060
>>> compiler.
>>
>> Just run:
>>
>> make -f posix.mak
>>
>> Or, for Windows:
>>
>> make -f win32.mak
>
> You also need to build Phobos, which automatically links the
> druntime objects into a single library file, by going into the
> Phobos directory and doing the same thing.
>
> An annoying issue on Windows, though, is that DMD keeps running
> out of memory when all the precise GC teimplates are
> instantiated.  I've been meaning to rewrite the make file to
> separately compile Phobos on Windows, but I've been preoccupied
> with other things.

Cool, that sounds easy enough. I'm running Linux, so hopefully I
won't have that problem. I won't need to compile on Windows for
quite a while, so that's not a big deal.

I probably won't get to it for a few days (because of class
responsibilities), but I'll try to get to it by the end of the
week. I'm excited to test it out and see if I can break it!

I'll check back here every so often, so if you hear from that
GSoC person, I'd love to hear any updates on what may or may not
be finished. I'd really like to develop something non-trivial in
D.