[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 18 00:37:40 PDT 2012

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:29:10 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> Yet for whatever reason corporate types just love WebEx. Every meeting
> and cow-orker's son's birthday party is on WebEx. Ugh. Nowadays I just
> resort to looking over the cow-orker's shoulders when reviewing WebEx
> videos instead of defiling my PC with that crap.

If corporate types love it, you know it's bad:

- Flash
- Acrobat Reader
- COBOL
- PHP
- VBScript / VisualBasic (ie, "Cobol of the 90's")
- Visual SourceSafe
- Lotus Notes
- Blackboard (HUGE around colleges, or at least it was when I left)
- Oracle (Even if it's not a terrible DBMS, it's certainly overpriced)

> [...]
> > I miss the 80's: Devices worked and idiots didn't use computers.
>
> LOL... I agree with the sentiment. My dad has a pair of Apple II's
> from the 80's, and they still work. He does his accounts on them
> sometimes.

I still have a IIc. The Apple II's, IMNSHO are the *one* worthwhile
product line Apple's ever had. Probably b/c it's the only one (to my
knowledge) that was more Woz than Jobs. Love those machines. I regret
that I never have a chance to use it anymore.

> Compared to a 3-year-old PC of today, which is probably
> already dying a horrible death of HD failures, fan failures, CPU
> overheating, software breakages that's gotten it into a state that
> requires reformatting and reinstalling to fix.

Heh, actually, my 10-year-old 32-bit single-core XP desktop is still
going strong, and is in active use (though it has had some upgrades:
more RAM, tons of HDD (totalling ~2.5TB), a SATA add-on card, a USB 2.0
add-on, a DVD-burner). Although as of a few months ago it's no longer
my primary system since I got a super-cheap 2-core 64-bit laptop - the
speed is nice on the rare occasion I deal with video, but the real
killer feature is simply that it's a laptop.