[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 18 02:08:18 PDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:41:58 -0700
Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 9/17/2012 9:35 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > And there's even more. Honestly, if I were looking into getting a
> > new car, I would consider that stereo *alone* to be a deal-breaker.
> > It's that bad.
>
> Install headers and a cherry-bomb exhaust,

Heh, I don't even know what those are :P

> and you won't need no
> steekin' car stereo no more.
>
> > I miss the 80's: Devices worked and idiots didn't use computers.
>
> You've got a selective memory!!
>
> A car stereo in the 80's used cassettes. With a cassette, you've got
> flutter, rewinding, and a player that randomly ate your tapes. You
> also had tapes scattered about your car, usually encrusted with some
> substance that may or may not have come from McDonald's or the dog.
>
> I was happy a few years back to throw my cassette collection into the
> garbage.

Yea, so was I, but then I discovered that that we're basically trading
one set of problems for another, especially with video. Casettes suck,
and I'm glad to be done with them, but with discs:

- They're less durable. Scratch a cassette? DEEPLY? Like, with a knife?
  So what? The vulnerable tape is actually *protected*. But ordinary
  usage of disc, even *without* those jackasses who who set discs *on
  top* of the case instead of *in* it (*cough* both my parents), and it
  still gets scuffed and will start skipping.

- PUO's. 'Nuff said.

- Inevitable laser burnout.

- Cassette-eating decks? The ultra-popular XBox 360 eats discs. You know
  those rental discs you get with the BIG circular grooves dug into
  them guaranteeing it won't play thorugh? It was the laser of someone's
  360 that did that.

Yes, cassette sucked, but disc sucks, too.

> Oh, and TV sets and VCRs stunk compared to today. The TV shows stunk,
> too. With netflix, I rewatched some of those older shows, and was
> appalled at how bad they were. Try watching an 80's miniseries -
> gawd, what stinkers.

Yea, there was a lot of junk (there's a lot of junk in every decade),
but I'd rather watch a bad 80's show than modern reality show any day.
And reality shows are about all there are anymore. Hell even
documentaries are starting to do shitty JJ Abrams style directing.

Some fantastic 80's shows off the top of my head:

- Soap
- Hunter
- Magnum PI
- Remington Steele
- Miami Vice
- MacGyver
- Cheers
- Golden Girls (ok, minus the occasional "After School Special" scenes)
- Married With Children (the first two or three seasons were in the
  80's)

> But I did like 80's fashions much better than today's. The 70's were
> the worst, and the 80's the best.

I once heard someone say the 70's were the hangover from the 60's.
That's how I feel about the 80's and 90's:

- Torn jeans? Awesome. Sagging? GTFO.
- Spandex/leather? Sweet. Flanel? Blech.
- Flock of Seagulls? Radical. Combover? What is this, "Leave it
  to Beaver"?