Reference semantic ranges and algorithms (and std.random)

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:57:03 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 10:46:22 UTC, Johannes Pfau
wrote:

> That's what I did in std.digest. All Digests have a start()
> method,
> even if it's not necessary for that specific Digest. It's
> probably a
> good solution if you want a uniform interface for types which
> need
> initialization and types which don't.
>
> But there's also another, nice solution which should work:
> Introduce a
> new makeRNG template function. This func checks if the RNG has
> a seed
> function and calls it if available. Then you can do this for
> all RNGs:
>
> auto rng = makeRNG!MersenneTwister();
> auto rng = makeRNG!Misnstdrand();

These are good suggestions, but they are also breaking changes :/
I *AM* writing them down though, should we ever go down Jonathan
M Davis's suggestion is changing the module.

BTW: std.container also has MakeContainter, but, AFAIK, I've
never seen ANYONE use it :/