LDC blacklisted in Ubuntu

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 26 18:19:33 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:58:08PM -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:
[...]
> I don't know what's involved in getting built-packages into the
> various distributions.  I suspect that a number of them prefer to be
> built by their own automation from original (or forked) sources.  I'd
> be happy to engage with the appropriate people to explore ways to work
> together in this space.
[...]

For Debian, the process is relatively simple:

1) Create a debian/ subdir in the source tree, with appropriate
   control files (for existing packages, this has already been done)
   a) Update debian/changelog to reflect the new version number.
   b) Adjust any necessary dependencies, etc., in debian/control.

2) Build the package by running 'dpkg-buildpackage ...' in the source
   tree. This creates a bunch of files (including the binary .deb) in
   the parent directory.

3) [Optional] Preferably, test the .deb to make sure it doesn't cause
   massive system breakage.

4) Upload the generated package files in the parent directory by the
   build process, either by sending it to a sponsor or uploading it
   directly to the upload queue if you have upload access. The dupload
   script automatically determines which file(s) should be uploaded.

Once the package is uploaded successfully, the autobuilder
infrastructure can be used to build the package for the umpteen
architectures that Debian supports.

IIRC, once the package gets into the Debian archive it will eventually
find its way into Ubuntu (and possibly the other Debian derivatives).

VI = Visual Irritation