Getting started with D - Phobos documentation sucks

foobar foo at bar.com
Sun Sep 30 08:00:02 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 30 September 2012 at 13:48:41 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 September 2012 at 11:01:50 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> Is it just me that thinks that having a tool that fixes the
>> generated documentation is ridiculous. The compiler should be
>> modified to generate the documentation we want to have.
>
> Eh, maybe. I just find doing fancier things inside the compiler
> to be a pain in the butt. Basically D > C++. And it is harder
> to get code into dmd than it is to just do your own thing.
>
> But really what matters is that we get something that doesn't
> suck results wise. We could always change the ddoc
> implementation later.

Which is why the doc generation utility should be a separate tool
and not built directly into the compiler. I understand Walter's
desire to have batteries included with D (doc generation,
unit-testing, profiling, ...) but that does not mean they should
be welded in. The DMD distribution could just as well provide a
set of auxiliary _standalone_ utilities for that.

DMD already has JSON output. Can't that be standardized and used
with a separate ddoc utility written in D?