Getting started with D - Phobos documentation sucks

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Sep 30 23:23:24 PDT 2012

On 2012-09-30 21:23, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> What hurts me most in doing it is just that it is C++... I know my way
> around the compiler reasonably well. Not great but good enough to get
> by... but doing new code is just such a pain. Little things like no
> auto, forward declarations, weak sauce arrays and strings. Ugh, it just
> isn't D.

I completely agree. Can't we start to use C++11 soon. At least it has
"auto".

> And then dmd has its own rules that trip me up. Aren't supposed to use
> dynamic_cast, can't use tabs, just all kinds of style things that grind me.

I know a few of these rules were due to old compilers having problem
with some of the C++ features (templates). Is this still a problem or is
there other reasons? I know that Clang doesn't use "dynamic_cast" or
RTTI for that matter.

--
/Jacob Carlborg