Formal Review of std.process

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 08:26:03 PDT 2013

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 05:13:10 -0400, Lars T. Kyllingstad
<public at kyllingen.net> wrote:

> I wonder if we should change the name of Config.gui to
> Config.noConsole.  It corresponds to the CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag in the
> Windows API, for which the documentation says:
>
> "The process is a console application that is being run without a
> console window. Therefore, the console handle for the application is not
> set. This flag is ignored if the application is not a console
> application [...]"
>
> I know some people don't like negative flags, but in this case it seems
> more precise.  It doesn't create a GUI, it prevents the creation of a
> console.

This is true.  Even the windows switch is misleading.

The origin of the name 'gui' is from when one wanted to start a windows
GUI application from another windows GUI application, and you did it
without this flag, it would pop up an annoying console window.  So you can
read it as "I'm starting a GUI application"

If we could, I'd fix Windows so the process you were starting made the
determination of whether it should start a console or not, that makes more
sense to me.

As far as a positive flag, what about suppressConsole?  Little verbose I
suppose...

-Steve