Disable GC entirely

Adrian Mercieca amercieca at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 02:10:14 PDT 2013

Hi

> D's GC is not as good as some other system programming languages like
> Oberon or Active Oberon, just to cite two examples from many.

As I said, maybe it's time (IMHO) for D's GC to addresses - or otherwise
dropped.

> However, does the current performance really impact the type of
> applications you are writing?

Yes it does; and to be honest, I don't buy into this argument that for
certain apps I don't need the speed and all that... why should I ever want
a slower app? And if performance was not such an issue, to be perfectly
frank, then Java would more than suffice and I would not be looking at D
in the first place. D is supposed to be a better C++ (or at least that's
what I have been led to believe - or like to believe)...... so it's got to
be an improvement all round. It is a better structured and neater
language, but if it's going to come at the price of being slower to C++,
than at the end of the day it is not an improvement at all.

> I'm asking because I always found the C and C++ communities always care
> too much about micro optimizations in cases it does not matter. Coming
> from a polyglot background I never managed to grok that.
>
> However there are cases where every byte and every ms matter, in those
> cases you are still better with C, C++ and Fortran.

But why are you so quick to give up on D being as fast as C++ ?
Wouldn't it be just awesome if D - with its better constructs and all that
- was just as fast as C++ ?
Can't it just be that someone does achieve the best of both worlds?
I feel that D is very close to that: a great, versatile and powerful
language... if only the performance was as good as C++'s then it'll be
what I have always dreamt of.

Just my 2p worth...