Disable GC entirely

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 02:41:20 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 7 April 2013 at 09:10:14 UTC, Adrian Mercieca wrote:
>> However, does the current performance really impact the type of
>> applications you are writing?
>
> Yes it does; and to be honest, I don't buy into this argument
> that for
> certain apps I don't need the speed and all that... why should
> I ever want
> a slower app? And if performance was not such an issue, to be
> perfectly
> frank, then Java would more than suffice and I would not be
> looking at D
> in the first placeю

The point here is that applications caring for performance don't
do dynamic allocations at all. Both GC and malloc are slow,
memory pools of pre-allocated memory are used instead. Having
standard lib helpers for those may be helpful but anyway, those
are GC-agnostic and hardly done any differently than in C++. So
it should be possible to achieve performance similar to C/C++
even with current bad GC if application memory architecture is
done right.

It is not a panacea and sometimes the very existence of GC harms
performance requirements (When not only speed, but also latency
matter). That is true. But for performance-hungry user
applications situation is pretty acceptable right now. Well, it
will be, once easy way to track accidental gc_malloc calls is
added.