Disable GC entirely

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Wed Apr 10 15:52:58 PDT 2013

On 04/10/2013 05:22 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> For many (admittedly, not all) of them, I really don't believe "games"
> is an accurate term (Don't misinterpret that into a statement of "Only
> true 'games' are legitimate" because I never said such a thing.)

But that's essentially what you *are* saying by downplaying the gameplay
that lies at the heart of the "interactive movies" you've used as
examples. It's the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Let's take a statement
from your original post:

"Modern  AAA/big-budget titles are interactive movies, not videogames,
because their focus is story, dialog and cinematics, not gameplay."

Which is untrue when it comes to games like BioShock or GTA. At the end
of the day both games are mostly shooters along with other gameplay
elements (like driving in GTA), and you will spend most of your time
playing the game and not watching cinematics. I gave you a canonical
example of what would be an interactive movie, and you tried to wave it
away because it really was an interactive movie.

> It might be a bad thing if the industry focused too heavily on them,
> but that would be a completely different complaint.

Which has been the essence of your complaint, based on how games used to
be and your particular tastes, sounding a lot like a grumpy old man who
thinks the industry is suffering because they don't make them like they
used to:

"Maybe I'm just projecting my own tastes into this, or maybe this is
just because I don't have sales/profits/etc charts for the last 10-20
years to examine, but lately I'm finding it difficult to believe that
"AAA" games aren't becoming (or already) a mere niche, much like
high-performance sports cars. (Ie, big money, but small market.)

Part of this is because, as I see it, the "big/AAA games" *as they used
to exist* up until around the early 2000's don't seem to be around much
anymore."

> And really, is it so damn horrible to have and voice a negative opinion
> on something?

Not at all, but when the constant refrain is grumpy-old-man ranting, it
is pretty horrible.