Vote for std.process

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Apr 12 00:15:45 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 07:00:25 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 06:25:10 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> Can I suggest that ALL new modules should be added to exp.
>> rather than
>> std.?
>
> Java tried this. As a result, they are now stuck with "javax"
> because they realized breaking backwards compatibility wasn't
> worth the benefit of "graduating" packages from "javax" to
> "java".

Actually they also have another issue.

Java supported since the begging something similar to a System
package for dirty tricks, officially it was a Sun only API.

http://www.docjar.com/docs/api/sun/misc/Unsafe.html

So actually all Java implementations provide a compatible API,
because many do use it.

Younger languages seem not to have any issue breaking backwards
compatibility for experimental code.

--
Paulo