Stable D version?

eles eles at eles.com
Mon Apr 22 18:06:48 PDT 2013

On Monday, 22 April 2013 at 23:35:56 UTC, Flamaros wrote:

The problem is not that D is usable or not as it is. The problem
is that, until officially "handled to the user", it won't be
taken too serious by the industry.

In other words, you won't find jobs as a D programmer.

C++ will improve more with the pending modules and other features
that do not even have to wait 2014 for that (a TR will do the
job). But the point here is not about C++.

The problem with D is that it's never finished. Everybody waits
for the next version. Everytime I spoke to my boss about D, the
answer was like: "hmmm... we'll discuss about it when it's ready".

D1 was killed by a under-developed phobos and by the the conflict
tango-phobos, at least in part. What really killed D1 was the
announcement of D2. And I have the feeling that after D2 is
rolled out, people will start working on D3.

That's the wrong approach. If it is usable as it is, then shift
the main effort on tools for it and on promoting it. Then, let it
in the market, get feedback from compiler implementors and
commercial users and formalize that as a proposal for the next D
standard. Then, after public scrutinize the proposed changes for
6 months or 1 tear, implement them.

Only recently the focus was placed on implementing those shared
libraries. Really, who'd have been expected to use D in
commercial, large applications, without that support? Why did
people wait for so long?

Keep running circles around Optlink and other specific tools just
for the sake of them? I agree they *were* valuable, but they
*were*. Focus on the ldc or gcc/gdc implementation, for example.
Use that as the official compiler. Do not split effort. There are
a lot of standard tools that will facilitate adoption, yet the
effort is misplaced.

Put the current language version on the market, along with a
document summarizing proposals for the future standard and get
feedback from users that will start using it for real
applications, on large scale.

No need, for now, to make Phobos the best of the best. The curse
of Tango vanished. Ship it as it is, incomplete but cleaned, then
some libraries will be written and they will find almost
naturally place in the standard library, just as the C++ standard
integrates parts from Boost, integrated STL etc.

Pursuing perfection will miss the good.