D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Aug 2 07:20:18 PDT 2013

soywiz:

> D didn't had a good IDE allowing refactoring by that moment

That's mostly a tools/ecosystem problem, but perhaps the language
design could help a little to perform the refactoring. How can a
language help refactoring?

> Compilation times were huge. I was using lot of compile-time
> code generation and at least at that time, that code was
> interpreted or not enought fast for me.

This is a known problem, it can be solved, people are working on
it, and I think eventually it will be partially solved.

> Also I needed a needed to chaneg the emulator to perform
> dynamic recompilation instead of just interpreting. With C# I
> could do portable dynarec very easily. In the case of D I would
> have to creaet a emitter per supported platform (mostly x86,
> x64 and ARM).

I think this is mostly a library problem.

Bye,
bearophile