D game development: a call to action

Jonathan A Dunlap jdunlap at outlook.com
Mon Aug 5 11:18:29 PDT 2013

I am one of the few who have taken a keen interest in D for game
development. The concise language and modern conveniences may be
able to reduce many hours worth of development time off a game
project, while making the code more maintainable. Aside from the
core language, Dlang graphics bindings have a way to go before
even earning acceptance in the indie gaming scene, but it's
making great strides to get there.

The main challenge I've hit is the lack of any sort of path for
adopting a media engine. Bindings (like SFML
https://github.com/krzat/SFML-D) all suffer from:

A) No information about its current status: this is scary if its
repo hasn't been updated in months.
B) Usually are complex to get working in a new project (manually
building or searching for undocumented dependency DLLs)
C) Lack practical references and tutorials for "real would usage"
e.g. "how to create an OpenGL window" or "how to render a
triangle"
versus something like "how to load from disk an image texture
onto a quad and move it around using keyboard events"

SFML bindings are also in https://github.com/aldacron/Derelict3
but I couldn't find a scrap of information on how to use it, how
to compile correctly, or example usage. It's unclear if the
library is even usable in its current state.

Please don't take this as blind criticism, but rather a plea to
action for the community to provide better library documentation
support for: current lib status, getting started adding it, and a
general use tutorial/example. If we start doing this, it'll make
a big impact for other game developers who are new to Dlang to
adopt the language. Thanks for listening!